It never stops to surprise me how cool people can be. I was lucky enough to meet Mr. Bell who let me use his wing stand. Not only that but he took the time to deliver it to me and helped to install the skeletons to it! Thank you Sr!.
The first thing I did was to get both spars ready. Now, working on the tanks I realized that I installed 6 nutplates (3 per spar) that I wasn’t supposed to install that early.
In general everything went pretty straight forward with these steps. I got them prepped and assembled in around week and a half. Next I prepared the ribs and the rear spars which was a very tedious and boring thing to do, but the results are pretty good.
I started by fabricating a quick template to make sure that I placed holes for wiring around the same place on all ribs. After that deburring and priming.
Two months ago my wing kit got delivered. A few details on one of the boxes but everything inside was ok. A couple of hours of inventory and some extra time to place things on their storage area and I was ready to start building the second kit!.
I’m always surprised of how Van’s is able to fit some many things in such small boxes, and also give them enough protection that they have a good chance of surviving shipping.
Once everything was ready I started working on the spars. I’ll try to write about progress so far on a couple separated posts.