Wing Spars and Rib Preparation

The first thing I did was to get both spars ready. Now, working on the tanks I realized that I installed 6 nutplates (3 per spar) that I wasn’t supposed to install that early.

In general everything went pretty straight forward with these steps. I got them prepped and assembled in around week and a half. Next I prepared the ribs and the rear spars which was a very tedious and boring thing to do, but the results are pretty good.

I started by fabricating a quick template to make sure that I placed holes for wiring around the same place on all ribs. After that deburring and priming.

Rudder – 1

I started working on the rudder right after finishing the HS. It has been pretty straight forward until now. The first step was to trim and prepare the stiffeners. It is pretty awesome to see how the pre-punched holes only align in a specific way. It makes it really easy to get it right even for me:). Back riveting is the easiest way of getting good results no doubt about it!.

Once I had both skins ready I started to work on the structure. It took me a little bit of time to totally understand how the bottom part of the rudder goes together. Once I got it, preparation is basically the same that I’ve been doing on previous parts.

I’m done to the point where I have to start riveting the trailing edge. I bonded it with T-88 epoxy as mentioned on the instructions. I’ve been waiting for it to cure a couple of days, while I also order some rivets and an extra bucking bar to reach some pretty tight places near the trailing edge.

Last Friday I met another builder, Paul, who came from Cleburne, TX to check on my project. We had a pretty cool conversation sharing ideas and experiences. I hope to be down there visiting him pretty soon. If you want to check his work, he has a pretty cool builders blog here!.

Vertical Stabilizer

I kept working on my horizontal stabilizer for a while after my last post. The work I did was OK, but I kept getting the feeling that I could do better. Past Sunday I woke up and decided to just order the couple of parts I needed to re-do what I did not like.

While I waited for those parts to arrive I started to work on the vertical stabilizer. I read many times that this is actually a better sub-assembly to start with, and I have to say that I totally agree. It took a lot less time to complete. The VS is a pretty simple to assemble part. I matchdrilled, deburred, dimpled and primed in the same way that I did in the past.

The hardest part for me is definitely using the rivet gun. I managed to only put a couple of small smileys o the skin (but I still feel disappointed about it, even though everybody says that is normal). I’m thinking about getting a 2X gun to complement the 3X I have to test if the results are better.

Priming the parts this time went a little bit better after I got a new gun with the right size nozzle. There is still room for improvement, and definitely I’ll need to build a paint booth to help with the mess.

I’ve been using the Stewart Systems Ekoprime Primer. I really like that is not hard to deal with it as it is a water based primer. I’m sure some other products may offer better protection, but I do think that what I’m getting is enough for this project.

Next I’m planning an redoing the couple of parts in my HS and finish it. After that I think the rudder may come next.