Storage

While waiting on the wings to arrive I did some cleaning and organization in the garage AKA aircraft factory.

img_7646

Right Elevator

The right elevator was the hardest part to build so far. Now that I’m working on the left side things are going a lot better, and easier. Just for future reference, theseare things that I learned that makes it simpler:

  • Dimples on the skin to spar area are not nice and resulted in my worst looking rivets so far. For the second elevator I asked my wife to help by holding the skins while dimpling and results are really good.
  • It was hard to rivet the stiffeners and spars. I found that the easiest way was to open the skin at least 90 degrees, and hold it from the outside (it is not going to break). Once you do it that way, and have better dimples results are good.
  • Riveting the counterbalance ribs to the main spar is a lot easier when the skin is still open. I got all but two rivets on both skin to spar and skin to ribs done pretty easy.
  • Trailing edge came up pretty similar to the rudder. Nothing really bad, but not as good as I would like.

The elevators are pretty simple assemblies, but require a lot of attention to detail, and it is pretty easy to make mistakes. In the future I may re-do it, but overall I think is OK.

And…….

 

 

Felt pretty cool getting to test fit the elevator on the horizontal stabilizer. 🙂

IMG_7202.jpg

Adding Storage Space

Our house garage has ceelings high enough to allow me to build some kind of mezzanine on it. After I saw my neighbour’s setup I decided to “borrow :)” the idea and do the same.

It took a quick trip to the orange depot for six 2″x4″x8′, two 1/2″ plywood sheets, 3″ 1/2 contructions screws,four hooks and 6 feet of chain to get everything I needed. I’m pretty happy with the results.

Building my shop

After almost 4 years since I moved and ended without a space to work on the things that I like, my wife and I bought our first home. It has been a pretty scary adventure to put everything we had into it, but we are very happy!.

Once things became more relaxed and I had more time available I started working on how I wanted to organize the garage and my shop. The decision was made to use the left side to build my workbench and place things around it.

IMG_5515.jpg
Table structure

A while ago I came across these work tables designed by EAA chapter 1000, and I really liked them. I decided to build something similar but tailored to the space I had available. With some adjustments in height and width I got it to be similar to the workbench my dad has at his place.

IMG_5521.jpg
Table done

I’ve always liked  having the tools that I use a lot  visible as it allows me to easily find them or check if one is missing. With this idea in mind I also built a “wall of tools” on top of the workbench and I’ve been slowly filling it.

IMG_5956.jpg
My workbench as on November 2017

 

There are some other improvements that I will be making on my garage to be able to organize parts and use as many space as possible. I’ll keep updating the blog with the things that I’m adding once I get them done. If there is anything you may want to know about how I built something please write a comment bellow and I’ll do my best to answer.

Update:

The workbench measurements are:

Width: 27″

Length: 8′

Height: 3′